Major Social and Economic Indicators (2018)
||4 598 200
|Gross domestic product (GDP)
|GDP per capita
|Value of total merchandise trade
|Value of export
|Value of import
|Industrial structure (% of GDP)
||Primary industry (agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry, fishery): 7% of GDP
Secondary Industry (industrial and construction): 48.5% of GDP
Tertiary industry (service industry): 44.5% of GDP
|Port Cargo Throughput
||93.69 million tons
||Overnight visitors received: 27.23 million passenger trips
Note: the above figures are based on the Statistical Communiqué of Jiangmen on the 2018 National Economic and Social Development
- Located at the western part of the Pearl River Delta, Jiangmen is adjoining Zhongshan and Zhuhai on the east, Yangjiang on the west, Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhaoqing and Yunfu on the north, as well as South China Sea on the south. It is also close to Hong Kong and Macao.
- There are eight expressways connecting Jiangmen with other places, namely Foshan-Kaiping, Kaiping-Yangjiang, Xinhui-Taishan, Jiangmen-Heshan, Zhongshan-Jiangmen, Jiangmen-Zhuhai, Jiangmen-Zhaoqing and the western costal expressways. Since the Guangzhou-Zhuhai intercity railway came into operation, Jiangmen has been integrated into the "one-hour economic circle" of the Greater Pearl River Delta. Jiangmen has two national class 1 cargo ports, namely Xinhui Port and Taishan Guanghai Port. Yinzhouhu waters can accommodate vessels of over 10 000 tons.
- Development of Jiangmen's strategic emerging industries is rapid. The emerging industries include new energy, new lighting, new materials, high-end equipment manufacturing, and green household appliances. Jiangmen also has a fairly comprehensive industrial system, with motorcycles and auto parts manufacturing, textiles and garments, papermaking, shipbuilding, food, packaging materials, bathroom accessories and sanitary hardware, printing, and electromechanics as pillar industries.
- Jiangmen is an important source of supply of agricultural products and by-products for the Pearl River Delta, Hong Kong and Macao. It is the first agricultural cooperation pilot zone with Taiwan in the Guangdong province.
Major Development Areas
- National level: Jiangmen High-Tech Industrial Development Zone
- Provincial level: Xinhui Economic Development Zone, and Taishan Guanghai Bay Industrial Park
Economic and Trade Relations Between Jiangmen and Hong Kong
- In 2017, the total value of import and export between Jiangmen and Hong Kong amounted to RMB25.6 billion, accounting for 18.5% of the city's overall; of which, the total export to Hong Kong was RMB24.5 billion, accounting for 22.8% of the city's overall; and the total import from Hong Kong was RMB1.1 billion, accounting for 3.6% of the city's overall.
- In 2018, the realized direct investment from outside of the Mainland was US$0.734 billion, of which US$0.538 were from Hong Kong.
- As of the end of 2017, the number of approved Hong Kong-invested enterprises in Jiangmen reached 6 411 (accounting for 70.8% of the city's overall). The contracted direct investment from Hong Kong reached US$16.18 billion (accounting for 62.1% of the city's overall) and the realised direct investment from Hong Kong was US$10.55 billion (accounting for 57.7% of the overall).
Youth Innovation Entrepreneurship Bases
- The Jiangmen Municipal People's Government issued the notice on "Implementation Measures on strengthening the development of innovation and entrepreneurship bases for Hong Kong and Macao youths in Jiangmen" on 5 June 2019. The measures mainly include the full cancellation of work permits for Hong Kong and Macao youths, permitting them to conduct a series of employment and entrepreneurship matters, such as filing employment registration, making social security payments, setting up businesses, etc., with valid identity cards.
- There are many youth innovation entrepreneurship bases in Jiangmen, offering young people of Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao a wide range of support services to foster youth innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Established in 2015, the Jiangmen Qiaomengyuan High-Tech Development Zone (the Dream Incubator for Overseas Chinese) comprises two key platforms, namely the Jiangmen Hi-tech Industrial Development Zone and the Daguang Bay Economic Zone. It provides a platform for overseas Chinese enterprises and high-end technology talents to tap the investment and business opportunities in Jiangmen. It will also be a new platform to strengthen the bonds of overseas Chinese, pool their talents together and play to their strengths.
- The Zhuxi Wisdom Valley is an entrepreneurship and innovation base for micro and small-sized enterprises, which focuses on educational equipment, smart manufacturing and life science. It has already developed ten innovative industrial platforms, such as Torch High-Tech Creative Park, Innovative Creative Industrial Park, "Zhihuicheng", Guangdong industrial design city Jiangmen base, bringing in more than 800 micro, small and medium-sized industrial design and technology incubation enterprises.
- The Zhuxi wisdom valley intelligent equipment collaborative innovation institute places much importance on the development of robots, high-end computer numerical control equipment, energy conservation equipment and electrical equipment. The institute aims to develop coworking space for micro and small-sized advanced manufacturing enterprises on the western part of the Pearl River, demonstration platform for Industry 4.0 and Made in China 2025, supporting platform for advanced manufacturing technology, and an innovation and entrepreneurship incubation base for micro and small-sized advanced manufacturing enterprises.
- The Torch High-Tech Creative Park in Jiangmen – Morgan Park is the only national technology business incubator and national innovation and entrepreneurship demonstration base for micro and small-sized enterprises in Wuyi. It supports projects and teams in the fields of smart equipment manufacturing, educational equipment, life science, Internet+, new materials, new energy, animation, comics and creative industries, energy conservation and environmental protection, and mechatronics.
- The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area Overseas Youth Entrepreneurship Centre is a platform for young people overseas who aspire to set up a business in the Greater Bay Area, encompassing features from both cultures and Jiangmen's local industries. It consists of office space for creative industries, an art plaza, apartments for young entrepreneurs, an education and training base, and an e-sports industrial base.
- The Jiangmen Hi-Tech Zone Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Service Center (Torch Building) has formed a cluster of start-ups and incubators, and agencies for technology and financial services. It offers fully furnished office space to technology SMEs, e-commerce companies and financial services industry in the Jiangmen Hi-tech Industrial Development Zone. The Torch Building has been proactively bringing in banks and venture capital firms to provide more efficient investment and financing services for micro and small-sized enterprises there. It has also set up an angel fund with initial funding of 50 million which will be used for supporting topnotch innovation and technology start-ups. Currently, there are over 110 projects.
- Located inside the Torch Building, the TusStar (Jiangmen) Incubation Base is the first national coworking space and first provincial coworking space in the Jiangmen Hi-tech Industrial Development Zone. Currently, there are 45 enterprises.
- Located inside the Torch Building, the Guangdong e-commerce times industrial park has a team of experienced staff from the internet industry. It provides a wide range of services including accounting, intellectual property, recruitment, professional training, marketing, product shooting, software support, logistics, equity and financing and market consultation. Currently, there are more than 80 enterprises.
For Jiangmen's key measures on taking forward the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, please refer to the webpage of Work Report of Jiangmen Municipal Government (in Chinese only).